Finding the Knowledge of God
Proverbs 2:1-5 says “1My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; 2So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; 3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; 4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; 5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.”
Here the bible gives us 8 easy and comprehensive steps to finding the knowledge of God:
1) Receive my words. The first step to finding the knowledge of God is to receive the Words! You have to listen to what God is saying to you. Now be careful about this, there is a difference between simply listening and receiving. A listener may listen and reject what they have heard, but a receiver will accept and take in what they have heard. So first of all listen, accept it, take it in and receive it.
2) Hide my commandments. The second step is to hide the word of God with us. This is not saying to go and hide your bibles! The word ‘hide’ here means to preserve or protect. We are to keep safe the words of wisdom that we have heard and keep them close by us.
3) Incline your ear unto wisdom. The third step is to incline our ears to, or in other words take heed of, wisdom. We are to purposefully regard wisdom.
4) Apply your heart to understanding. The fourth step is to apply our hearts, or yield to, understanding. We should use our hearts for understanding.
5) Cry after knowledge. The word cry here is the idea of an invitation or a beckoning. We are to ask for knowledge in our lives, after all; if we don’t ask, how can we receive?
6) Lift up your voice for understanding. Simply put, shout out for understanding!
7) Seek for it. The word seekest is the idea of striving for or begging for. Not half-heartedly looking for it like a penny you had just dropped but really putting effort it seeking it.
8) Search for it. The verse says search for it like you would search for hid treasures. I don’t know about you but if I knew there was some hidden treasure in my immediate vicinity you can be sure that I would be diligently searching for it! I would be ripping up floor boards and breaking walls to find it! We should be searching for the knowledge of God in the same way.
The verses conclude by saying “Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.” When the 8 steps above have been fulfilled then will you understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Now note I am not saying this is some legalistic law you have to follow or some special remedy that will cure your problems. Neither am I telling you to do it, however for those seeking to grow in their walk with God I advise you to try it out. Try applying these things to your daily walk with God and see what changes. – A.
Posted on August 15, 2012, in Andrew's Thoughts for the Day and tagged Bible, christian youth, Christianity, God, Holy Spirit, Jesus, Knowledge, Lord, Servant, Understanding, Wisdom, Youth. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.